Monday, January 28, 2008

All about my Mei Mei (little sister) by Sierra

One week ago today we picked up Samantha from Saint Lucy’s Orphanage in Taiwan. Taiwan was very fun and interesting. They are 16 hours ahead of us so we picked her up on Tuesday there but it was Monday here!

Here are some things I have learned about Samantha:
1. She is shy around strangers
2. She likes cats
3. She doesn’t like dogs
4. She still hasn’t adjusted to our time zone
5. She laughs a lot
6. She is very small for her age (only 13 pounds at 11 months)
7. She likes other babies even when they’re mean to her (like Logan)
8. She has two teeth
9. She is a classic beauty (they all said so in Taiwan)
10. She has beautiful eyes

Here are some things I have taught Samantha:

1. When I say yea she claps her hands and laughs
2. When I say high five she gives me a high five
3. When I say HI she waves
4. When I say shake she shakes my hand

Here are some of the things Samantha has done for the first time with me:
1. Her first time meeting her family
2. Her first time in a train
3. Her first time in a taxi
4. Her first time in Taipei
5. Her first time in a hotel
6. Her first time in a restaurant
7. Her first time in Taipei 101 (the tallest building in the world)
8. Her first dessert (mango pudding)
9. Her first toast and eggs
10. Her first spaghetti noodles
11. Her first bite of donut
12. Her first bite of chocolate
13. Her first airplane ride
14. Her first time in the USA & CA
15. Her first time in a regular car and carseat
16. Her first time in a home
17. Her first time seeing animals
18. Her first time meeting her cousin
19. Her first family Christmas party (a month late)
20. Her first time watching karate class
21. Her first time with a sister
!

Being a big sister is awesome. I am so happy to have her as my little sister.

This is a picture of me and Samantha at the orphanage just after we got her:
This is a picture of me and Samantha in our matching pajamas in Taiwan:

This is a picture of me doing my homework with Samantha:




Samantha watching me during KarateSamantha and me on the ball

15 comments:

Tiffany said...

Miss Sierra - you are the best big sister in the world and look at all the fun and "yummy" stuff Samantha has got to experience with you! When she gets older she will probably want you to repeat this list all the time :) I need you to come over and teach sophia some new stuff huh?
I hope you are feeling better, I know you were such a trooper through your entire trip! Glad you are home safe. Give samantha a big hug and kiss from Sophia

Love -
tiffany, chris and sophia

Anonymous said...

Sierra,

It looks like you are already a terrific big sister to Samantha! She is going to learn a lot from you. I love the photo of you two in matching pj's!

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

JackieMacD said...

Samantha is one lucky little girl. And you're lucky too! Thank you for the beautiful post. I'm so glad to see how well the sisters have gotten to know each other in such a short time. May you have a lifetime of happiness and adventure together.

Anonymous said...

Your lovely post warmed my heart. You are a lovely girl and you have a lovely sister.

William's Family said...

Sierra,

What a great big sister you are! Thanks for posting and letting us know all about your new Mei-Mei. Nicely done!

- Judy K.
www.wonderchildherewecome.blogspot.com

Tisra said...

Sierra,

You are an amazing "guest blogger". I think you should make repeat appearances! It is obvious that you love your little sister, and that she is so very lucky to have you showing her all about her new family, new house, and new life. Surely, it will make her transition easier and more fun. Now, I have to ask- can you really get your homework done like that?! :-)

Tisra
waiting for referral to adopt our fourth child from Taiwan
http://lifetrain.blogspot.com

The family of six said...

You are both so cute!!! Having a sister is the best! I have one and we are still great friends. You will have each other for the rest of your lives!

Mommy Blogger said...

Love it! I am in tears here! What a couple of lucky little girls to have each other.

mly95014 said...

Sierra,
Thanking for sharing your pictures and your moments and milestones of the first week with your new baby sister. You look so happy together, as if you've been sisters forever.

Best,
May

Jeri said...

Sierra, what a great list. I'm sure you're still adding to it. You are both beautiful, meant to be together. Great writing, maybe you'll have to start your own sister blog. Sisters in Sync, or something like that.
Jeri

Anonymous said...

Sierra,

I loved what you wrote on your family's blog. I am so happy for you that you got to go to Taiwan and see where Samantha was born. It's really cool that you have already taught Samantha so many things. I hope the two of you continue to have many happy times together (even when she gets into your stuff).
I hope you are feeling better. Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

You clearly already have much love for your sister. You are both very lucky to have found each other in this big world!
Leah

Mel said...

Great job, Sierra! You're a terrific blogger and a wonderful big sister...a lady of many talents! Keep up the good work & be sure to blog again...I really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Very cool!
its nice to keep a record of everything that she does for the first time...i guess there are a lot.
Take care and enjoy being a big sister!

Paula

Bill, Gina & Jilliann said...

Well your an awesome sister then!! Your wonderful with her and she looks so happy! Good for you...you go girl!:o)
Gina